Shoulder Impingement

Seeking Advice

Your Family Doctor (GP)

Your Family Doctor will be able to diagnose and help treat your problem. He or she will be able to

  • tell you about your problem
  • advise you of the best treatment methods
  • prescribe you medications
  • organise an injection into your bursa
  • and if necessary, refer you to Specialists (Consultants) for further treatment

What to expect from your doctor

Your doctor is likely to ask you a number of questions. Being ready to answer them may reserve time to go over any points you want to spend more time on. Your doctor may ask:

  • Where is the pain located?
  • Does your job or hobby aggravate your shoulder pain?
  • When did you first begin experiencing shoulder pain?
  • Have you experienced any symptoms in addition to shoulder pain?
  • How severe is your pain?
  • What movements and activities aggravate and relieve your shoulder pain?
  • Do you have any weakness or numbness in your arm?

What you can do in the meantime

In the days before your appointment, you can make yourself more comfortable by:

  • Resting your shoulder. Avoid movements that aggravate it and give you more pain.
  • Taking pain medication. Over-the-counter nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as aspirin, ibuprofen and may help reduce pain. paracetamol also may help relieve pain.
  • Seeing a Physiotherapist

Your Physiotherapist

Physiotherapy is a very effective treatment, and when performed properly, can ease the pain of shoulder impingement.

Your Surgeon

Most shoulder impingement can be treated without surgery. An orthopaedic surgeon can performed an operation called a 'shoulder decompression', when every other treatment has failed to relieve your pain.

26 February, 2012