Shoulder Dislocation

Seeking Advice

Your Family Doctor (GP)

Your Family Doctor will be able to diagnose and help treat your problem. He or she will be able to

  • tell you about your problem
  • advise you of the best treatment methods
  • prescribe you medications
  • and if necessary, refer you to Specialists (Consultants) for further treatment

Depending on the severity of the injury, your family doctor or the emergency room physician may recommend that you or your child be examined by an orthopaedic surgeon.

Bring along information about yourself

It can be a great help for your doctor if you bring along the following information about yourself

  • A list of your medications, including the name and dosage.
  • Information about your medical problems and past treatment
  • Previous investigation results, such as xrays and blood tests.

Prepare a list of questions for your doctor

You may want to write a list that includes:

  • Detailed descriptions of the symptoms and the precipitating event
  • Information about past medical problems
  • All the medications and dietary supplements you or your child takes
  • Questions you want to ask the doctor

What to expect from your doctor

During the physical exam, your doctor will inspect the affected area for tenderness, swelling or deformity. He or she will probably want to see X-rays of the injury.

4 August, 2012