Hip Fractures

Seeking Advice

Xray of a fractured neck of femur
Xray of a fractured neck of femur

Your Family Doctor (GP)

Your Family Doctor will be able to diagnose and help treat your problem. He or she will be able to

  • tell you about your problem
  • advise you of the best treatment methods
  • prescribe you medications
  • and if necessary, refer you to Specialists (Consultants) for further treatment

If you've fallen or otherwise injured your hip, call for an ambulance. Wait for Ambulance Officers to assess you and move you safely.

If possible, have a family member or friend come with you to hospital. Often, a close one, can really help you and your medical team with your treatment.

What questions will my doctors ask me?

Your doctors will ask you a range of questions, which may include

  • What is your age?
  • What is your home situation like?
  • Do you live at home by yourself or with others?
  • Are you independent or do you have help at home?
  • Tell me about your fall
  • Where is the pain?
  • How severe is the pain?
  • What are your symptoms?
  • What medical problems do you have?
  • What medications do you take?
  • What allergies do you have?
  • Have you had operations in the past?

What should I bring with me to hospital?

  • Toiletries
  • List of Medications
  • Medications
9 August, 2012