- Vitamin D is important in regulating callcium in the body and bone metabolism. It also has a number of other important functions in the body.
- Some therapeutic uses for Vitamin D include:
- Prevention and treatment of vitamin D deficiency
- Treatment of osteoporosis
- Regulation of certain hormones associated with chronic kidney disease
- Vitamin D is available in many forms and brands
- You need to speak to your doctor or pharmacist if you take other medications including over the counter and health food products that contain vitamin D.
- Patient groups at particular risk of Vitamin D deficiency include:
- those who are darkly pigmented
- chronically ill
- housebound or in residential care
- veiled women
29 May, 2011