Hip pain

Did you know?

Occupational Therapists work to promote independence, health and well-being in your everyday life.

Home and Community Care


  • Returning to work
    • Work environment
    • Centrelink
    • Worksafe
    • DVA
    • CRS Australia
    • Traffic Accident Commision

Occupational Therapist

Who are we?

Occupational Therapists are health professionals that work in a variety of settings. At Western Health, you may see an Occupational Therapist working in orthopaedics. This could be on the ward, in rehabilitation, the community, at your home or in an outpatient clinic.

Occupational Therapists work to promote independence, health and well-being in your everyday life.

We are called Occupational Therapists because our therapy is based around "occupations". "Occupations" are the tasks you do on a day-to-day basis that make up your life.

Each morning, you get out of bed, go to the toilet, sometimes have a shower, brush your teeth and start the day. Some people go to work, or school, and others care for their loved ones or stay at home. All these daily tasks are an essential part of your life.

Occupational Therapists work together with you to increase your "occupational performance", your ability to complete your tasks in a satisfying, autonomous and independent way. Occupational Therapists aim to help you become as independent in your "occupations" as possible.

We understand that if you have an injury, are unwell or need surgery, your recovery may be gradual. An Occupational Therapist can help by assessing the way you do your activity, breaking it up into smaller manageable tasks, or changing the way you complete a task, this may help you remain independent.

Occupational Therapists not only look at issues at the present moment, but consider the environment you will be returning to and will discuss with you the challenges this may bring to your independence.

We are available to help you with your recovery and work at all three Western Health sites from Monday to Friday. Just ask your treating doctor or nurse if you would like to see an Occupational Therapist to help you remain independent.

8 January, 2012